2 x 5m neon light ropes, £8 each = £16
Bag of clips, about £3
Painters tape £2
1 hour to assemble with tape
1 hour to replace tape with hooks (longer if your hooks are screw ones not nail ones)
We wanted something big and snazzy above our sofa in the lounge, but we couldn't find a photo, piece of art or sign that we liked - and we definitely couldn't be bothered to paint or wallpaper the wall. I'd seen some custom neon signs online but they were £££ which we just don't have, and can't really justify spending on one piece of decoration.
I was looking through Pinterest for ideas and saw that some people were using neon light ropes to make their own signs. I watched a couple of YouTube tutorials, saw a few blog posts and decided we should give it a bash.
We had a think about what we wanted it to say. We'd been inspired by the Bag and Bones one that Tom Fletcher has, which says 'Let's Stay Home', but again - we have no money. We talked about having something to do with adventure, but decided if it was going to be above our sofa it made more sense to go with something related to being at home. We decided what we like to do best is watch tv and drink tea, and I thought alliteration would be best for the sign, so the phrase Tea and Telly was born.
We wrote it out with a length of string first in the rough size we wanted, and measured it at just under a length of 10m. Amazon had 5m neon ropes for £8 each in a variety of colours. We did want a mains powered one, but had to settle for battery pack instead to get the colour we wanted (bluey white).
We primed them - of course, and the next day when they arrived we had a go at fixing them to the wall. You need some kind of rope or wire clip to keep them in place, and luckily we already had a bag from when we ran a cable along our stairs at one point. They look like this - except ours had small nails rather than screws which made it a much quicker process.
We decided to use one 5m length for 'Tea &' and the other for 'telly', hoping to end up with a rough square shape of text. We got to work fixing it to the wall with painters tape in place of where the hooks would be going, so that we could move it around if we needed to. When we had it exactly how we wanted it, it looked like this - first off, and then on!
One of them was brighter than the other because it had newer batteries, but when we replaced the other one with brand new ones, they were both the same!
When we were happy with it, we started replacing each piece of tape with a hook, just by placing it either side of the wire and hammering in the nail. When we had replaced all tape with hooks it looked like this - a slightly different shape as it was being held in a different way, but more or less the same:
2 Evening, with the lounge light on
3 Evening, with the lounge light off
It might still need a little bit of tweaking so telly doesn't look like jelly, but all in all we're very happy with it. It cost £16 plus the clips and painters tape which we already had, and took about 2 hours in total!